Under David Cameron and Nick Clegg, London is in the grip of a desperate housing crisis. House building has fallen to the lowest levels since the 1920s. As a result of the Government’s failure to build enough new homes:
- Buying a house is increasingly out of reach for most Londoners.
- The cost of renting has spiralled out of control.
- Londoners have to move further away from their friends and family and live in increasingly overcrowded homes.
Tackling the housing crisis is Labour’s number one priority in London
Labour believes all Londoners should have the right to a stable and affordable home. We will act to make buying and renting a home in London more affordable and secure:
- We will start a massive increase in house building – to at least 200,000 homes a year.
- We will give renters more security in their homes by making three year tenancies standard.
- We will end sky-high rents by putting a cap on annual rent increases.
- We will ban letting agents from charging fees to tenants – saving you up to £350 a year.
- We will clamp down on empty homes and ensure properties are advertised in the UK first.
Sadiq Khan, Shadow London Minister, said:
“We can’t reduce the cost of living in London without making housing more affordable. Under David Cameron and Nick Clegg, house building has fallen to the lowest levels since the 1920s. Only Labour will take the radical action needed to tackle London’s housing crisis.
"We will massively increase house building, make renting more affordable and secure, tackle empty homes and ban letting agencies from charging fees to tenants. Our message to Londoners is clear – if you want to get the cost of housing under control vote Labour in May 2015.”
Sign our petition:
"The Tories remain out of touch and are leaving Londoners out of pocket. I support Labour’s action to scrap rip-off letting fees and bring down the cost of renting."