Respected local councillor and national anti-poverty campaigner Matthew Pennycook is Labour’s choice to be the next MP for Greenwich & Woolwich.
Matthew won the support of Labour Party members across Greenwich & Woolwich to be Labour’s parliamentary candidate following Nick Raynsford MP’s announcement that he will stand down at the 2015 General Election.
Matthew Pennycook said:
“It’s an incredible honour to be chosen to follow in Nick Raynsford’s footsteps as Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Greenwich & Woolwich.
“As a local councillor in the constituency I see the human cost of this government’s economic failure every single day – whether it is people desperate to find work, struggling with the rising cost of living, or disabled people hit hard by the unfair, unworkable bedroom tax.
“I grew up in a single parent family in South London under a government, like this one, that sought to divide society rather than unite it. My Mum worked hard as a low-paid cleaner and child minder to put food on the table and a roof over our heads - often with the threat of repossession hanging over us. What drives me is the desire to build a more equal society than the one I grew up in.
“I was incredibly lucky, my Mum instilled in me a passion for education and with the support of some amazing teachers, I secured a place at London School of Economics. But it remains the case that it’s your bank balance and your postcode, not your intrinsic talents that largely determine your chances in life. I’m determined to change that.
“I’ll work tirelessly for everyone in Greenwich & Woolwich by campaigning for affordable childcare, promoting the living wage among local employers, improving housing and protecting workplace rights.”
Prior to his selection Matthew worked for the Resolution Foundation which campaigns to improve the lives of people on low incomes. He led on the Foundation’s work on issues such as welfare reform and tackling low pay.
NICK RAYNSFORD MP said:
“Matthew is a well-respected and committed local activist with the skills, knowledge and expertise to deliver for Greenwich and Woolwich on the national stage. He cares passionately about Greenwich & Woolwich and I know he will make a first-rate MP.”
Notes to Editors:
* London born. Lives in Greenwich and Woolwich constituency with his partner Joanna.
* Attended a South London state school followed by University at the London School of Economics
* With the help of a scholarship, he went on to Balliol College, Oxford to study for a Masters Degree in International Relations
* Elected Labour councillor for Greenwich West ward in May 2010.
* Prior to his selection he worked for the Resolution Foundation where he leads on welfare reform and tackling low pay.
* Serves on the Living Wage Foundation Advisory Board.
* Trustee of Greenwich Housing Rights.
* Former Governor at James Wolfe Primary School.
Respected local councillor and national anti-poverty campaigner Matthew Pennycook is Labour’s choice to be the next MP for Greenwich & Woolwich. Matthew won the support of Labour Party members across...